Monday, September 17, 2012

Day 1, well sort of...

I received my book in the mail a few days ago, and have read the success stories and the intro. I was going to read a little every day. Then today about noon the phone rings...
My mom called to tell me about her wonderful salad for lunch, and how she has lost 10 lbs. in 30 days by just doing Eat for Life for just 2 meals a day, and eating how she normally did for 1 meal. She wasn't overweight before, so those ten pounds normally would be difficult to lose, but she said they just melted away.
I told her that I was just starting the book, but she kept telling me that I should just start the diet while I read.
 What? I wasn't ready for that, I wanted to ease in slowly, finish eating everything in the pantry and fridge that wasn't compliant. I had ribs, chicken wings, and dare I say, Pappa John's pizza in the fridge. I had even had a piece of pizza for breakfast!
She told me to just go to the grocery store and get at least 4 different types of fruits, a bunch of fresh veggies, different dark salad greens, some no salt cans of beans, frozen veggies and fruit, some gluten free steel cut oatmeal, some hummus, a few nuts, and just start it for goodness sake! She said that my father had lost 30 lbs in 30 days, so what's stopping me?
Ahhhhh! Giving up meat, butter, cheese, white bread, cake, eggs cold turkey? I don't think I'm ready! Somehow she convinced me that by starting with just a half a day left would ease me into it.
I went to the grocery store and poured through the produce aisle, grabbing everything in sight, lest I get hungry. After about an hour and a half with calls made to both my mother and father for advice, with a whopping grocery bill of $125, I did it!
By that time I had to run home and unload the groceries and go across town to pick my son up. All in all, by the time we made it back, it was 4:45 and all I had to eat today had been a piece of pizza and a huge cup of International Delight Iced Coffee, mocha flavored and about a liter of Diet Dr. Pepper.
I asked my 5 year old son if he wanted to have a salad with Mommy for dinner. "No way" was the quick response. He then saw all of the fruit and decided he would have a "banana salad". I decided to go with the flow, and this is what he ended up with:


  

Boo's "Banana Salad" contains Romaine, spinach, broccoli, cucumbers, celery, grapes, blueberries, strawberries, and of course, bananas. He chose all of this himself, and with a little balsamic dressing, he ate the whole thing! I've never seen him eat this many vegatables, ever. He has never even tried celery before, because he didn't like the way it looks.

I used everything Boo did, but added tomato and Texas sweet onions. Yes, I did use bananas(after the photo was taken) and do you know what? It was surprisingly good!
Here's a picture before dressing:


And here's a picture with A dressing made from red pepper hummus thinned with balsamic vinegar:

I don't know if it was because I was STARVING, but this salad was great!
A little later on I was really hungry. I really wanted something chocolate, but instead I grabbed a handful of grapes and got quite full. It was kind of bizarre how instantly full I felt.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you tried this diet? Any tips or suggestion? Feel free to comment!