Saturday, September 22, 2012

Day 6- Dr. Furhman's Famous Anti-Cancer Soup



  • Day 6

  • I realized that I had most of the ingredients for  Dr. Furhman's Famous Anti- Cancer Soup recipe.

  • Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup dried split peas and 1/2 cup dried beans
  • 4 cups water
  • 4 medium onions chopped
  • 6 -8 medium zucchini, chopped
  • 3 leeks, chopped
  • 2 bunches kale or 2 bunches collard greens or 2 bunches other greens, chopped, tough stems and center ribs cut off and discarded
  • 5 lbs organic carrots ( 4-5 cups juice)
  • 2 bunches organic celery ( 2 cups juice)
  • 2 tablespoons sodium-free seasoning (such as Dr. Fuhrman's VegiZest) or 2 tablespoons Mrs. Dash seasoning mix
  • 1 cup raw cashews
  • 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped ( shiitake, cremini and or or oyster)
    Directions
    1. Add beans and water to very large pot over low heat.
    2. Add onions, zucchini and leeks to the pot along with chopped kale. Stir in carrot juice, celery juice and VegiZest or Mrs. Dash.
    3. Simmer about 20 minutes until onions, leeks, and zucchini soften. Transfer the soft onions, zucchini, and leeks from the pot to a blender along with some of the liquid from the pot. Completely blend or puree the vegetables. Add more soup liquid and the cashews to the mixture, and blend inches Return the creamy vegetable mixture back to the pot.


      As you can see, this is one of the ugliest soups I've ever seen. I had to make a few substitutions: I didn't have split peas, so I used lentils and blackbeans. I only had 2 onions, 4 zucchini, and subbed green onions for the leeks I also don't have a juicer, so my hubby got me some organic carrot juice. I didn't have the cashews, so I subbed almond flour.
      All in all, the soup is quite tasty. It was not fun to make, but it makes a huge poy, so it will last quite a while and can be divided up to freeze. My husband even had a bowl and said, it's not bad (which, believe it or not, is a complement.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you tried this diet? Any tips or suggestion? Feel free to comment!